[How-to Article] Getting Started with Windows 10 IoT Enterprise Using the Advantech EPC-R3720, an Arm-Based 2.5" Pico-ITX with NXP i.MX 8M Plus

1. Introduction

Advantech has completed WOA deploying on the EPC-R3720 with the i.MX 8M Plus series application processor platform to support Windows 10 IoT Enterprise. This highly optimized Windows 10 IoT makes it easier to build secure and scalable solutions from device to cloud, and supports diverse functions to provision, manage, and secure devices at scale.

This how-to article describes the process of setting and activating Windows 10 IoT on the Advantech EPC-R3720. Check our release notes for a full review of the capabilities of Windows 10 on Arm with the i.MX 8M Plus processor.

2. Prerequisites
Necessary Hardware:

• 1 x power adapter (Input: 100 ~ 240V AC 50/60Hz; Output: DC 12V 3A; Advantech P/N: 96PSA-A36W12R1-3)
  • Keyboard & Mouse

3. Setting Up Windows 10 IoT Enterprise on EPC-R3720

3-1 Open the product box.

3-2 Turn on the power and connect the HDMI cable to the device.

3-3 Follow these steps to set up Windows on the EPC-R3720.

3-3-1 Select your region.

3-3-2 Select the keyboard layout by mouse.

3-3-3 Type your username.

3-3-4 Type in a password, or ignore if you prefer.

4. Activating Windows 10 IoT Enterprise

4-1 Open the Windows Settings page.

4-2 We need to activate Windows 10 IoT enterprise on EPC-R3720. Please select “Change Product Key”.

4-3 Type your product key, and make sure you are connected to a network.

Note: The product key is on the license label as shown.

4-4 Click “Next”.

4-5 Click “Activate”.

Wait for about 1 minute.

4-6 Receive confirmation that Windows 10 IoT Enterprise is activated.

5. Conclusion

The EPC-R3720 with NXP i.MX 8M Plus platform is now powered by Windows IoT Enterprise, bringing full Windows compatibility to IoT. This enables developers to use preexisting and familiar app development frameworks like .NET Framework, .NET Core, WinForms, and WPF in addition to more modern frameworks like UWP and WinUI. Furthermore, Advantech has packed a powerful combination of I/O and peripherals into EPC-R3720, enhancing the i.MX 8M Plus processor to produce a solution adaptable to diverse requirements. The small footprint of the EPC-R3720 results in a cost-effective and lower power solution that enables developers to build new, compact, and fan-less Windows IoT devices in form factors not previously possible.

2 Likes