[OS Image Release V12005] Android 12 on RSB-3710 with Rockchip RK3399

What’s new:

1. Android 12 BSP first release
  2. Kernel version 4.19.232
  3. Uboot version 2017.09

Detail:
http://ess-wiki.advantech.com.tw/view/AIM-Linux/BSP/RK/Linux_Android_OS_Release_note/Android12/Internal

1 Like

Hi,
With this v12 release image, it is not possible to send sms messages. How can we add them ourselves with Androïd Studio or is it possible to include Google API with sms support?
I also want to mention that there a lot of faulty instructions on the WIKI page for this release.

1 Like

Hi,
To include Google API with SMS support. It need to obtain the license from Google to get the GMS support.
While the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) provides common, device-level functionalities. GMS is not part of AOSP. GMS is only available through a license with Google and delivers a holistic set of popular apps and cloud-based services.

Google Mobile Services (GMS) is a collection of applications and application programming interfaces (APIs] developed by Google for manufacturers of Android devices, such as smartphones and tablets. GMS can only be implemented into devices once the manufacturer has obtained a license to use the set of cloud-based applications.

Hi Jems,

Is there another way to send SMS with open-source APK file or other to send SMS on your RSB-3710 with Android version 11 or preferrable version 12?

regards,

Hi Macro,
For AOSP, there is no SMS apk preinstall in the image.
For my personal testing on RSB-3710 Android 12 to install SMS,

1 Like

Hi Jems,

It did not work, also QR-code is for pairing your RSB-3710 with a smartphone, but that is of no use in an industrial environment.
We’ve got a new release from Advantech with Android 12, but also without any sms api or sms libraries compiled into the image. Why do you sell WWAN-modules and create images for your systems without support of at least being able to send and receive sms messages?

Is there a way to customize the image I have (.img format) and add sms support? I used a dozen of SMS app’s, the moment I want to send an sms, it does nothing or freezes, but Advantech told me that there was sms support built into the image, but no Google messages support, because of the licensing. To what urpose is it then to sell these systems with WWAN-modules and without SMS support in the provided images? As a reminder: Your WIKI-pages for RSB-3710 has a lots of faults in the instruction or dead links.